Friday, July 24, 2009

Big Decisions

Our family is embarking on a new adventure. We're moving... out of state...

While there are many reasons, it was a decision prayerfully (and carefully) made. We're excited about this next step in our lives.

Making this decision has been large enough - now that it's been made, I've finally had some time to start really thinking about how I feel about all the changes this will bring. I've also begun to find time to focus on one thing at a time in deciding what is right for our family. Recently the focus has been on home schooling.

Due to many dynamics here where we currently are, the decision has always seem apparent - not requiring much thought (since we did that before embarking down this road to begin with). It was not without thought - but the decision was pretty clear, home schooling works for us and with so many cons to the public schooling option where we currently are, we were set to home school again.

However, when considering the move, we also began to consider all the changes - including the option to public school our children again. Initially, though I was saddened at the very thought of not teaching my own children, I didn't actually feel bad about sending them. Knowing we'd be in a new town, needing to meet new kids (and parents), it seemed cut and dry. Not-sick-to-the-stomach-feelings must mean public school is what we need to do, right? Well, maybe not.

As the decision to move has given way to decisions about our life after the move, I have been guided through priesthood blessings to look at each thing separately. To ponder carefully and prayerfully each element. And as I've begun to do this, I have focused in on the schooling. My heart and my head are saying different things. I can still see the pros and cons of both sides. But when I take it before the Lord, the peace comes when I consider home schooling. It's the same calming peace and comfort that has come along with the decision to move (without all the pieces of the puzzle in place).

Because I do not want to be a dictator, and because I do not want to make this decision rashly, I've discussed with the girls the feelings and council I've received. And I've asked them to pray over the next few days to see what they feel the Lord is guiding us to do. We've talked about how the Lord will help us to make the decision that is best for us and our family. And we've talked about concerns and thoughts and found answers to questions. We are doing the research the best we can so that we can make a prayerfully informed decision.

At this time, we have not yet decided which form of education we will follow for our children directly after our move. But we have recognized the importance of this decision and are working through it with the love and guidance of our Heavenly Father.

Please be patient with us while we are making this decision. If you feel inclined to help, please only do so through prayer that we will be able to make the decision which is in the best interest of our own family. Thank you - we really do appreciate your love and support.

No comments: