Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A More Focused Math

Well we're finally going to start in on a more formal curriculum. Not for everything. This is for math. Although Gabi comprehends a lot of math things, I fear that I'll leave out a critical step some where and then we'll be floundering. I'd rather avoid that. So, much like with the grammar and writing, we've found something we think will work for us.

This does not mean that we'll stop doing the other "non-traditional" math learning. I think that is still very important (and probably a lot more fun). We're just going to add this program to it.

We've chosen RightStart Mathematics because it's a full hands-on approach to learning. It also focuses on quantifying and not just on pure counting. It uses numerous manipulatives, which will give verity to the lessons. And there are lessons for the equivalent of K-6 grades (or all the way through geometry - the home school lessons are set up by level and the public school version - same thing - is set up by grade - My kind of program... recognizes that home schooling kids advance at a different pace!)

I really think we're going to enjoy this one. I've really looked around and this one sounds the most like what we had been discussing (and it's not nearly as expensive as the other programs comparable to it). We did not get the whole set right away. We got only levels A-C (because we're guessing that Gabi is at level C given what the estimator said, but aren't completely sure, and because Beth should be around level A (maybe part way through)).

Beth is funny because she's not interested in doing any of the "writing" and the "reading comprehension" - and since she's not officially school age yet, I said okay. But when Math was mentioned, she jumped all over that. She's a very hands on, numbers and lines kind of a kid. She loves numbers. And she has an incredible gift and talent for art and drawing. Gabi likes those things... but she LOVES reading and writing. She's the literal kid.

2 comments:

The Bertone's said...

Sounds like a good program. Good luck with it! I hope it works well for you. Is Gabbi still going to the school a few days a week?

Michael Edlavitch said...

Dear Math Enthusiast,
Hi. I am a Middle School Math teacher. I spent the summer making a website geared directly for grades 1-8. I want students to have a site where they can practice their math skills while still having fun. I have personally made most of the games.
If you have a place on your website to put a link, please do so. My site is located at: www.HoodaMath.com
Feel free to email me back with a link or a suggestion.
Thank you,
Michael Edlavitch

www.HoodaMath.com