Wednesday, September 16, 2009

This Year's Schooling Approach

So far there seem to be mixed reviews about schooling and not officially home schooling. That's okay. I think we've decided that the bulk of it is from so many changes in our lives all at once.

I must admit that I'm happier with the school that I ever was with any back where we were. That being said, it's still too early to know for sure if it's of great benefit yet. Certainly there are pros, not matter that else might happen.

Just the other day one of Beth's teachers (she has two teachers and an ed tech in the in the classroom) approached me and told me the highlight of her day was that Beth read an entire book to her! She had noticed that Beth always chose to read during free choice, so she asked Beth to read to her. She was very impressed with what she can do. Those of you who know Beth aren't surprised... she's been reading since she was three and loves to read just about anything. Chapter books are what challenge her - and then, it's probably close to 2nd or 3rd grade level anyway. So Mrs. D said that they had the yearly assessments coming up the end of the month and she was eager to see what to put Beth. At the teacher meeting (which happens every Monday afternoon) they discuss specific needs of specific kids. Beth was one to be discussed that day. They are considering pulling her out and putting her with the grouped reading / phonics / comprehension groups. Math has not been discovered yet... so we'll see what happens then.

Unlike when Gabi was in kindergarten, this school has what they call a math and a reading rotation. That is when the entire school is on that subject. This is done specifically so they can move the kids to the appropriate group without skipping grades! A huge plus for me!

Attitude is still an issue though... especially for Gabi. Bob and I are going to try something new. Instead of me taking an interest in what has happened at school (I'll get that information from Bob) I'll focus on spending time together doing fun things. Bob really thinks the problem is more that Gabi misses the time she had with me because she's always bubbly about school until about half way home. I'll still be involved in homework, which allows me to know what is going on and be a part of it.

Some of the things we'll do are baking, science, games, reading and crafty projects. I'm not convinced that I need to leave the academics entirely to the teachers at school. I suspect we'll be tying in different things. As well as during vacation doing some home schooling. The girls have been missing it, and I think it will do us all some good.

Grandma Nielsen will start the girls on piano lessons after soccer season ends. Bob and I tried to do it ourselves back in Maine, but it was always too hard with the schedules. Now, we feel it would be a great blessing for them to have the time with Grandma one on one with something they have both been wanting to do. Gabi doesn't know it, but she's going to need to get her attitude turned around before Grandma will take her on as a student. She doesn't want Gabi to decide she hates piano when she's always loved it. I agree.

The boys and I typically walk the girls to school then go the long way home . We also often walk the long way down and pick the girls up too. It's good to be out of the house, but also to have the fresh air and exercise. We also try to have a story / cuddle time right after lunch on the couch.

Other than that we're not terribly organized yet. We're getting there, but I'm still unpacking and organizing the house. We get out the math stuff more for fun right now and color and practice writing. We do go to the library every Wednesday morning for Story Hour and Craft which they seem to be enjoying themselves! They love to play with the toys that are there and picking out books as well.

We're working on attitudes, being polite, being patient, taking turns, being gentle and whatever else does not seem to come naturally to most little boys! =) It's not easy for anyone, but it's necessary and we're making slow progress. I hope to get charts printed up by the end of the week for chores and for progress!

1 comment:

The Bertone's said...

I hear you about the attitudes. Hunter and Rachel both are struggling with this right now.

I love the time that Sage and I have during the day together. We work on projects, cook, and we go the library once a week for story/craft time on Tuesdays. She really enjoys this as well. Such a big difference from Maine isn't it?

We've been here for a year and still adjusting.